This recipe is based on the recipe for Fried Spiced Tofu in the book Diet For A Small Planet. This works great as an ingredient in other recipes — or make it into a whole meal by adding cooked rice and broccoli.
Whichever name you use for it, this is one of the two yummiest ways to prepare tofu that I know of. It has turned many a non-user into a fan of tofu.
- 1 pound tofu
- optional: 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- optional: nutritional yeast (don't substitute any other kind)
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Fry it in the oil in a nonstick frying pan, turning frequently, until all sides are turning yellow. Add garlic, if you are using it, and fry for another minute or two. Add the spices. Stir. Turn off the heat. Stir in the tamari. Add about 1/8 cup of nutritional yeast, if you are using it. Stir. If needed, keep adding nutritional yeast until any wetness from the soy sauce has been absorbed.
- Note: You don't need to measure the spices. Random changes to this recipe all have yummy results. It's fine to practically double all the spices.