This recipe is great for when you don’t have any gluten-free bread and you want some right away! It is not the most perfect copy of wheat bread, but it’s quick and warm and good, very allergy safe, and lightning-fast!
The recipe as written makes four slices of bread. I like that it’s a small amount, because I don’t eat much bread, so four slices is exactly the right amount. But you can multiply the recipe to make more. Or double the recipe and make it into a round freeform loaf — yum!
This recipe is loosely based on a recipe for Ciabatta bread that was posted by a Russian woman named Jenn. I am not finding her site anymore, which is sad because she had some excellent recipes there!
Really Quick Gluten-Free Bread - yeast-free, dairy-free, vegan
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour - I use 1/2 cup each of quinoa flour, teff flour, and garbanzo flour - Choose flour(s) that taste good to you: The bread will taste like whichever flour(s) you use!
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon EITHER apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice
- 5/8 cup water - (this is the same as 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Choose a pan. This is perfect in an 8x8 nonstick pan, but you can use a larger pan and just shape the bread dough into the size you want. If the pan is not nonstick, oil it.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out into an 8x8 inch square.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Ciabatta bread variation: Shape the ingredients into a ball and bake a small loaf on a nonstick or oiled baking sheet for 15-20 minutes.Or double the ingredients, shape them into a ball, and bake the loaf on a nonstick or oiled baking sheet for 30 minutes.