We eat a lot of broccoli at my house. Even my pickiest kid eats broccoli with no complaint — though I can’t promise the same results at your house. :) But broccoli is full of nutrients and easy to cook, so we eat a lot of it.
I use frozen broccoli florets rather than fresh, because it is less prep work, and because frozen foods are often frozen in the fields right after they are picked, which retains more nutrients than if it sat unfrozen during transportation and on the grocery store’s shelves.
Broccoli à la Valerie
- frozen broccoli
- canola and/or olive oil
- Put frozen broccoli into a microwave-safe glass bowl or a big Pyrex measuring cup (2 cup size or larger).
- Drizzle on a few tablespoons of cold water, to make the broccoli wet.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of canola and/or olive oil on top.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes per cup of broccoli.
- When the broccoli is cooked, there will be some salty water at the bottom. Stir thoroughly, so that this water washes off any patches of salt on the broccoli and distributes the salt evenly across all the broccoli.