The main ingredients are cabbage, shredded carrots, and eggs.
My kids will eat these – even my pickiest eater.
This recipe is based on a version posted at Love and Lemons.
Okonomiyaki - gluten-free vegetarian Japanese pancakes - incredibly yummy!
These Japanese main-dish pancakes are super easy to make. These are gluten-free and vegetarian. They make a lovely, healthy, satisfying lunch or dinner. Yum!
Servings: 4 servings
For the pancakes
- About half a small-to-medium cabbage chopped or shredded (a food processor's slicing blade is PERFECT for this, and very easy!) (either green or purple cabbage works well here) (about 3 cups, packed)
- 1 cup shredded carrots grating with a food processor is very easy if you just shredded cabbage with it
- 1 bunch scallions chopped into circles - about 1 1/4 cups
- EITHER 1 cup of panko bread crumbs OR 2/3 cup of flour or 2/3 cup of gluten-free flour I used 1/3 cup quinoa flour and 1/3 cup garbanzo flour, but any flour should work here
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- oil -- I use organic canola oil
- EITHER some of my creamy white salad dressing OR 3-5 teaspoons of mayo mixed with 1 teaspoon soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- optional toppings: sesame seeds pickled ginger, nori sliced into tiny pieces, microgreens
- Mix all of the pancake ingredients in a big bowl, including a couple of tablespoons of oil.
- Oil a nonstick frying pan, then heat it over medium heat.
- Put in 1/4 of the pancake batter mixture and flatten it out into a big circle, evening out the edges to be smooth. Cook on the first side until the bottom is turning golden brown. Then flip to the other side, and cook until that side too is browning. (A giant silicone spatula is very helpful here!) Remove to a plate, and repeat to make a total of four big pancakes.
- While the pancakes cook, put the topping into a plastic bag and cut off a small corner of the bag. When the pancakes are ready, put them onto serving plates, then use even pressure on the plastic bag to draw zigzag lines or other patterns on the pancakes. Optionally add the other toppings, and serve!