Oriental Salad – My kids’ favorite pasta dish. May create tofu lovers!
This is an Asian-style noodle salad — with tofu so good that it has been known to convert a non-tofu-eater into a tofu lover.
This recipe is based on a recipe from The Horn of the Moon Cookbook by Ginny Callan. It has some of the most addictively delicious tofu I’ve ever eaten. The tofu from this recipe is excellent used as an ingredient in other recipes too.
Two of my kids specially ask for this recipe as their very favorite dinner.
I usually double this recipe when I cook it, for leftovers.
Oriental Salad - A pasta dish that may convert a tofu-hater into a tofu lover
This is an Asian-style noodle salad -- with tofu so good that it has been known to convert a non-tofu-eater into a tofu lover.
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari good soy sauce San-J has gluten-free options
- 1 pound of extra-firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 12 ounces pasta I like Field Day Organic Brown Rice Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil the brown “toasted” kind (do not substitute any other oil)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice approximately 1/2 lemon
- 6 scallions chopped (optional)
- 1 cup snow peas sliced in half on an angle, or two stalks of celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 1/8 to 1/4 cup of dried parsley
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Cut the tofu into half-inch cubes. Place it in a watertight container with a lid that fits well. Add the marinade ingredients. Put the lid on the container. Gently turn it over, to mix the marinade with the tofu, then turn it right-side up again. Let it sit for a few minutes while you start the pasta, occasionally turning the container over to mix the marinade with the tofu (but leave the container standing right-side-up to prevent leaks).
- Start heating water to boil for the pasta.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the tofu from the container and put it into a nonstick frying pan on the stove. Heat the tofu along with the ginger, stirring regularly to brown the different sides of the tofu. When the tofu is brown and crispy, pour 1 tablespoon of tamari over it and stir for 1 minute more.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and put them into a big serving bowl. Juice the lemon and set aside the lemon juice.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the bowl. Immediately stir in the sesame oil and lemon juice. Toss well and serve.
- Everything else tends to burrow beneath the noodles, so when you serve this you should dig down in the bowl to get some of everything.
Oriental Salad – My kids’ favorite pasta dish. May create tofu lovers! — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>