A quick and addictive recipe for scrambled tofu — with cubes of soft browned potatoes, broccoli, and pieces of red bell peppers. Yum!
This recipe is based on a recipe called Tofu Skillet Scramble, from the cookbook Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson.
The secret to this recipe is to let the tofu brown on the side that is on the bottom of the frying pan. It picks up the other flavors in the recipe and tastes great that way.
The other secret is smoked paprika — smoked paprika adds some magic to practically anything.
Note that the recipe makes 2-3 servings, so you may want to multiply it if you are feeding more people. This recipe is somewhat addictive, so make lots!
The second picture in this post shows the ring of potatoes for microwaving.
The final picture shows what the tofu looks like after mashing.
The tofu picks up the flavors of the salt and other ingredients and ends up tasting scrambled and not tofu-y at all. Even if you are hesitant about tofu, I encourage you to try this recipe, because the tofu comes out delicious — all salty and flavorful. It combines with the potatoes to be very satisfying.
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce make sure it is gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 small potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed either ground or whole is okay
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- optional: shredded lettuce
- Cut the potatoes into half-inch cubes. Shape them into a big O on a microwave-safe dinnerplate. Microwave for five minutes. (The O-shape of the ring lets the potato cubes cook more evenly.)
- In a big bowl, mash the tofu. You can mash it with a potato masher or with your hands. Tip: If you use a potato masher, it is easiest if you start by mashing just the edge of the block of tofu and work your way inward gradually. Stir in the soy sauce, paprika, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large (12 inch) nonstick frying pan. Add the potatoes and tofu. Heat until the potatoes are soft and everything is starting to turn a gorgeous golden shade of brown.
- While the potatoes cook, put the frozen broccoli into a microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of water on top, then some salt, and drizzle on a tablespoon of oil. Microwave for 8 minutes. Stir well, so that the salt gets well distributed. Drain. Add the broccoli to the potato-tofu mixture.
- While the broccoli cooks, chop the red bell pepper and add it to the potato-tofu mixture.
- Stir in the fennel seed.
- Serve either on lettuce or solo.