The White Dinner — a quick, gluten-free, vegan meal that my kids love
This recipe is adapted from a recipe called “Farfalle with White Beans and Cabbage” or “Halushki” from the cookbook Vegan on the Cheap. My kids renamed it to “The White Dinner.” :)
I really love the cookbook Vegan on the Cheap, by Robin Robertson. We often eat vegan food at our house. I like this cookbook not because we are trying to eat cheaply, but because it has a huge number of very accessible recipes that are easy to cook and come out tasting great!
By the way, Robin Robertson has a nice blog.
This recipe is a mixture of cabbage, white beans, and pasta. I usually add either greens or broccoli to get additional healthy vegetables into the meal.
The White Dinner -- a quick, gluten-free, vegan meal that my kids love
A buttery vegan mixture of pasta, cabbage, white beans, and optionally some greens. My picky kids love this dinner!
Servings: 4 -5 servings
- 1 pound of pasta such as Field Day Organic Brown Rice Pasta -- noodles or spirals or elbows work well in this recipe
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 small head of cabbage finely shredded (4 to 12 cups) - don't include the solid core
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans of cannellini beans drained and rinsed, or 3 cups of cooked cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- optional: 2-3 cups of cooked broccoli or 1-2 cups raw greens such as kale or chard
- optional: smoked paprika
- Chop the cabbage. Put it in a big pot with the oil and salt. If you are using the optional greens, add them. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is starting to brown in places. Then turn down the heat to a lower temperature and let it continue cooking, still stirring from time to time. The longer the cabbage is on the heat, the better this recipe tastes.
- Meanwhile, heat water to cook pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the cannellini beans. Add those and the pepper to the cabbage mixture and stir.
- Meanwhile, if you are cooking broccoli, cook it and drain. In case it's useful, here is my quick, easy broccoli recipe.
- When the pasta mixture is cooked, stir it into the cabbage mixture, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot, optionally sprinkled with smoked paprika.
The White Dinner — a quick, gluten-free, vegan meal that my kids love — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>