Chocolate Chip Cookies – no gluten, dairy, or refined sugar!
I searched far and wide for my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe — and I have found it! This recipe has no gluten — indeed no grain or flour of any kind — and it is sweetened with dates instead of refined sugar. It makes delicious chocolate chip cookies that start out soft and stay that way.
This recipe is based on the Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe from the blog Cooking a la Mel. But I’ve modified the recipe to use nuts instead of quinoa flour, replaced coconut oil with canola oil, and left out the refrigeration stage.
For making blobs of cookie dough, I use an OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop that I bought on Amazon. It makes it easy to turn out a zillion perfect blobs of cookie dough in no time flat — although you can also use a tablespoon to scoop the dough and another one to scrape it off the first one, and that will work fine too.
You can make these cookies vegan by replacing the egg with a flax egg instead.
My pick for chocolate chips is Equal Exchange, because they are dairy-free, organic, and fair trade.
For more gluten-free vegan chocolate chip cookies, check out MI Gluten Free Gal’s Tahini Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pumpkin seeds without hulls
- 1 cup dates with no pits
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg or replace with a flax egg to make it vegan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips such as Equal Exchange semisweet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a food processor.
- Blend for several minutes, until the mixture looks someplace between dough and wet sand. The largest pieces should be the size of the head of a pin.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place blobs of 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough on a cookie sheet. Flatten the blobs into round cookie shapes. You can put them close together -- they don't expand much during baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Tastes best after cooling. Yum!
Chocolate Chip Cookies – no gluten, dairy, or refined sugar! — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>