Rather than going out for Chinese food, another option is to make your own!
This is yet another recipe for an ethnic food where I make a version that is not remotely authentic but it is easy to make at home and tastes good. It is very quick, nutritious, and yummy!
Lo Mein - easy, gluten-free, vegan, super yummy!
- 2-4 tablespoons oil a neutral-tasting oil such as canola
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu my current pick is SoyBoy brand
- 8 ounces of uncooked spaghetti gluten-free if desired, broken into pieces (breaking it is easiest by bending the unopened box of spaghetti in a couple of places)
- 1 pound frozen broccoli cooked (here's my easy recipe for cooking broccoli)
- about 2 cups shredded carrots you can sometimes find pre-shredded or julienned carrots at the grocery store, or you can quickly grate them with the grating attachment of a food processor
- Start boiling the water for the pasta.
- Cut the tofu into about 32 triangles -- see pictures.
- Put the tofu and oil into a large frying pan or wok. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook the tofu until the bottom is starting to turn brown. Then flip it to the other side and cook that side, too, until it is starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, start cooking the broccoli.
- Meanwhile, put all of the sauce ingredients except for the water into a small mixing bowl or measuring cup. Stir until the cornstarch is mixed in, then add the cold water and stir again.
- When the tofu is cooked, add the carrots and the sauce.
- When the broccoli is cooked, drain it and add it to the tofu mixture.
- When the pasta is cooked, mix everything together.