Tiny Sweet Potato Pies – a snack or a whole meal, gluten-free, vegan, and delicious!
These tiny sweet potato pies are quick, cute, and oh so delicious!
They make a good snack or small meal. They have protein from the almond butter, and the sweet potatoes are a veggie, so they are a tiny, very yummy, balanced meal.
The taste is warm and sweet and cinnamon-y. Yum!
Where this recipe came from:
Years ago, I read an article where someone had sliced sweet potatoes the long way, into thin slices, then toasted them in a toaster and used them as a form of bread for cute little gluten-free sandwiches. I was intrigued by the simplicity and yumminess of the idea, and eager to try it. I loved the thought that it would make a simple gluten-free “bread” easily available from grocery stores everywhere.
My family’s toaster gets used for things that I am allergic to, so instead of using the toaster, I tried toasting slices of sweet potatoes in the oven. That worked well, and I got slices of nicely toasted sweet potato. But, to be honest, I think that slices of sweet potato are too sweet to make a good bread-substitute — at least according to my tastebuds.
My tastes must be different from the tastebuds of the person who wrote the article, so maybe this is something that some people would like. A lot of people like meals that are sweeter than what I like. Anyway, it didn’t work for me. But then I had all of these slices of toasted sweet potato to use up. So I spread on almond butter, added a pinch of cinnamon, and that became this recipe.
Is a tiny pie a pie-let? Can you spell it as “pilot”? If so, then an alternate name for this recipe is “Sweet Potato Pilots.” Or pielets.
Tiny Sweet Potato Pies
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes the kind with orange-colored flesh
- a few tablespoons of almond-butter or other nut-butter or an alternative such as sunbutter or soybutter
- a few pinches of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash the sweet potatoes, cut out any bad spots, and slice them into quarter-inch-thick circles.
- Place the circles on a nonstick cookie sheet or a silicone mat on a cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven. Even if it isn't fully preheated yet, you can go ahead and put them in.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (sometimes longer if the oven is still preheating), until poking the sweet potatoes with a fork shows you that they are soft. They should be starting to brown. Watch them closely, because they can go quickly from undercooked to burned.
- Spread a dab of almond butter (or alternative) on each slice of sweet potato.
- Top with a pinch of cinnamon, and serve warm.
- These are oh so good!
Tiny Sweet Potato Pies – a snack or a whole meal, gluten-free, vegan, and delicious! — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>