My amazing sister, Olivia, signed up for e-mails from this blog when new recipes are posted. That made my day!!
This recipe is in honor of Olivia, because she gave this recipe to me a zillion years ago, when we were teenagers. The original was published in a magazine, I think, and Olivia replaced optional nuts with non-optional chocolate chips. I’ve converted the recipe to be gluten-free and added vegan options. It makes amazing chocolatey delicious cookies that are soft in the middle and just barely crunchy around the edges! Yum!!!
Amazing Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies - gluten-free, can be vegan - delicious!!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine I like Earth Balance organic spread (tip: in this recipe do not substitute oil for the buttery spread; it needs to be un-melted so that it can melt as the cookies bake)
- 1 cup flour or your favorite gluten-free flour mix - I use 1/4 cup each of potato starch, garbanzo flour, teff flour, and quinoa flour, plus about 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum or guar gum
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa powder that's 3/8 cup (I like Now organic cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - optional
- 1 egg or a vegan flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips I like Equal Exchange semisweet - this link is for a whole case!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If you are using flax eggs, mix up the flax egg.
- Use a mixer or food processor to mix the sugar and buttery spread together until smooth and creamy.
- Add all of the other ingredients except for the chocolate chips, and blend into a smooth dough.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use two dinnertable tablespoons or a medium cookie scoop to drop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough at a time onto nonstick cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. The cookies will puff up during baking and flatten as they cool.