Bowl Cake – three-minute, easy, one-serving, gluten-free, vegan, can be refined sugar free, and super yummy!
We’ve been making this easy, vegan, three-minute “mug cake” in a bowl. It can be vanilla or chocolate. This is so healthy and yummy that it makes a nice base for a weekend breakfast, topped with cashew cream and fruit. For a fancy breakfast, my kids and I line up bowls and mix the ingredients “assembly line” style in each bowl. We cut up a bunch of different types of fruit and set them out in cereal bowls with a spoon, so that each person can customize their own toppings. The cake is also good on its own, without toppings, or with just chocolate chips on top!
This recipe is adapted from a recipe on the Kitchen Treaty website.
Bowl Cake - quick, easy, one-serving, gluten-free, vegan, can be refined sugar free, and super yummy!
This easy, quick, vegan, single-serving mug cake in a bowl is delicious! It can optionally be sweetened with banana or maple syrup to be free of refined sugar. It can be vanilla or chocolate. It makes a lovely snack, or a base for a great weekend breakfast!
Servings: 1 bowl cake
- 2 tablespoons of flour or gluten-free flour - I use 1/2 tablespoon each of quinoa flour teff flour, garbanzo flour, and potato starch, but any gluten-free flour will do (no xanthan gum needed)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter or other nut butter or seed butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup OR sugar OR brown sugar OR honey OR half a freckly banana
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder OR 1/12 teaspoon each of baking soda and cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- OPTIONAL CHOCOLATE VERSION: add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and another 1/2 tablespoon of sweetener
Optional Cashew Cream Topping - for each person use:
- 6 tablespoons cashews
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- pinch of cardamom
Optional Fruit Topping
- Lots of fruit! Anything is good here: banana chunks blueberries, cut up peaches, plums, and/or chocolate chips
- Choose a microwave-safe cereal bowl.
- If you are using half a banana for the sweetener, put it in the bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add the bowl-cake ingredients (but not the toppings), and stir until everything is well mixed.
- "Bake" it in the microwave. Microwaves vary, so you may need to change the time, but in my microwave it cooks in 45 seconds if you didn't use a banana as the sweetener, or 50 seconds if you did.
- If you are making cashew cream, put all of its ingredients in a tiny blender jar and blend until very smooth. If you don't have a tiny blender jar, you may need to double or triple the cashew cream ingredients in order to get it to blend. You can save the extra cashew cream for the next mug cake!
- To serve, top the cake with the various toppings and dig in! If you use chocolate chips and they touch the warm cake, they will melt, which is especially delicious.
- Tip: My kids and I like to line up several bowls and cook them "assembly line" style for a fancy weekend breakfast.
Bowl Cake – three-minute, easy, one-serving, gluten-free, vegan, can be refined sugar free, and super yummy! — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>